• Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Monday, February 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Fanfare
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel and Tourism
  • More
    • Editorial
    • Business
    • Crime and Security
    • Opinion
    • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Fanfare
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel and Tourism
  • More
    • Editorial
    • Business
    • Crime and Security
    • Opinion
    • Sports
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result

Bodija explosion: Three persons of interest identified, to be prosecuted…As Makinde receives official report on security, medical, structural integrity aspects

Peter Olajide by Peter Olajide
February 7, 2024
in Uncategorized
0
IBADAN EXPLOSION: A CALL TO ACTION IN THE WAKE OF RECENT TRAGEDIES  By: Abdulsalam Mubarak Adio
3.3k
VIEWS

You might also like

Makinde’s ally, Otunba Famojuro hosts Oluyole Elders Forum

*“Nigeria Running on Less Than 10 Per Cent Capital Budget Implementation Since 2025 Is a Pity” — Ibarapakan Slams APC Presidency*

February 21, 2026
Ibadan-London flights: Mayegun Babanumi Hails Gov. Makinde’s Re-positioning Strides

Ibadan-London flights: Mayegun Babanumi Hails Gov. Makinde’s Re-positioning Strides

February 20, 2026

...To get all news updates, Join our WhatsApp Group (Click Here)

Bodija explosion: Three persons of interest identified, to be prosecuted…As Makinde receives official report on security, medical, structural integrity aspects

 

Oyo State governor, ‘Seyi Makinde, has received the official report of the January 16, 2024 explosion at Adeyi Avenue, Bodija, Ibadan.

 

The report, which comprises findings of the Medical, Security and Engineering Teams, was submitted to the governor on Tuesday, at the Executive Chamber of the Governor’s Office, Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan.

 

Addressing a press conference at the Briefing Room of the Governor’s Office shortly after the presentation of the report, the Special Adviser on Security to the Governor, COMPOL Fatai Owoseni (rtd), said that three persons of interest have been identified in connection with the cause of the unfortunate incident.

 

He added that the identified persons will face prosecution based on the investigation carried out.

 

Owoseni also clarified that the street where the incident happened is Aderinola Street and not Dejo Oyelese Street, as earlier widely reported, adding that the epicentre of the tragedy is No. 8A and No. 8B.

 

Owoseni also revealed that the character of the explosive is known as “Water Gel Type Based Explosive” and that the explosion was triggered by an electric spark, explaining further that a Closed Circuit Television in one of the affected houses gave footage of how the incident happened.

 

Also Read:  PICTORIAL: Access Bank Organizes Operation 'Keep Oyo State Clean' Project ....members of the public extols their dedication

He assured that the state government would bring the perpetrators to book, adding that the government would check on the immigration status of all the people of interest since a majority of them are from Mali.

 

He said: “We have been able to report that the swiftness with which security was deployed to the epicentre had so far successfully made the state to fully secure the environment. And with the security that was provided, the state has also been able to prevent untoward happenings, especially opportunistic crimes that hoodlums always take advantage of such situations to carry out.

 

“We would recall that an emergency situation centre was put in place by the governor, and was located at the premises of Oyo State Housing Corporation, Ibadan.

 

“The EOC has so far collated information, data of things that happened there and some of the data collated include census of the respective houses and the fatalities that were affected including the extent of losses suffered.

 

“As of 6 p.m. on Friday, 3rd of February, which was the 18th day of the incident, a total of 335 affected persons registered at the emergency situation centre including 16 companies or business operators, churches, mosques, three schools and the UCH also approached the centre to report on their losses.

 

“The losses reported also include fatality, injuries of various degrees, damages ranging from total collapse and submerging of houses, houses that suffered collateral damage and the ones that suffered minimal damages.”

 

Owoseni also addressed the Executive Order signed by the governor on safe handling and storage of harmful substances in the state, stating that residents of the state should interface and share useful information with the his office through No 2, Oba Akenzua Crescent, Onireke, Ibadan, or through an email address, declarenow@oyostate.gov.ng.

Also Read:  Makinde's DCoS, Rejoices With Akinajo, Fatokun, Julian, Adedibu On Their Appointments, Hails Governor

 

“There is an Executive Order that was signed by the governor last week, which has placed obligations on people that deal with explosives or do businesses where they use explosives. Obligations have been created under that Executive Order, which define what harmful particles or substances are.

 

“The first phase of the Executive Order, which is to declare within 72 hours as to whether you are in possession of explosives or harmful substances has passed. I can tell you that, as of the time the 72 hours lapsed, no one came forward. And the second phase is where we are now, which states that anyone that comes in possession of harmful substances should declare to the office of Special Adviser of Security to the governor within 24hrs,”Owoseni added.

 

Also addressing newsmen, the chairman, Nigeria Institute of Structural Engineers, Engr. Mbim Okutinyang, who is also the lead coordinator of the team that carried out structural integrity on the affected houses, said his team covered 282 houses and that only four of the houses would have to be demolished due to the degrees of the damage.

 

He, however, added that the seismic report was still being awaited.

 

Also contributing, the Head of the Emergency Operation Centre, Prof. Temitope Alonge, said 80 victims in total were managed across various hospitals following the incident but that only five patients are on admission as of the time of the press conference.

He explained that four of the patients are being treated at the University College Hospital (UCH) and are at various levels of recovery, while one patient is at the Redeemers Hospital being managed for a spinal cord injury.

Also Read:  NUT Honors GLORIOUS, Endorses Him for Ona Ara Local Government Chairman

 

He said that most of the cases at UCH will likely be discharged within the next one week.

 

He added that some of the affected victims that experienced medical disorder such as respiratory illness had been treated, while those with symptoms suggestive of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder are being attended to by clinical psychologists from UCH, led by Mrs. Funmi Olowa.

 

Giving an update on the tests for radioactivity, Alonge said the site of the incident has been cleared in terms of radioactivity, as the EOC invited the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Agency (NNRA) to conduct another screening on Sunday, 4th February and “the good news is that there were no radiations outside of normal.”

 

 

Signed

Sulaimon Olanrewaju

Special Adviser (Media) to Oyo State Governor

February 7, 2024.


You can get every of our news as soon as they drop on WhatsApp ...To get all news updates, Join our WhatsApp Group (Click Here)
Previous Post

Agboworin Lauds Makinde For Constituting Elders’ Council, Congratulates Chairman, Members

Next Post

Sango Market Inferno: Gov. Makinde’s Deputy Chief Of Staff, Oyekunle (DON), Visits Scene, Donates N250,000 To Affected Victims

Peter Olajide

Peter Olajide

Related Stories

Makinde’s ally, Otunba Famojuro hosts Oluyole Elders Forum

*“Nigeria Running on Less Than 10 Per Cent Capital Budget Implementation Since 2025 Is a Pity” — Ibarapakan Slams APC Presidency*

by Peter Olajide
February 21, 2026
0

  Member representing Ibarapa Central and Ibarapa North Federal Constituency, Hon. Dr. Anthony Adebayo Adepoju, has reeled out his scorecard...

Ibadan-London flights: Mayegun Babanumi Hails Gov. Makinde’s Re-positioning Strides

Ibadan-London flights: Mayegun Babanumi Hails Gov. Makinde’s Re-positioning Strides

by Peter Olajide
February 20, 2026
0

  Mayegun Sunday Olusegun Babanumi, a frontline PDP House of Representative Aspirant for Ibadan NorthWest and Ibadan SouthWest Federal Constituency...

Auto Draft

Sheikh Onikijipa to Speak at Lagelu 2nd Ramadan Lecture on Good Governance Feb 26

by Peter Olajide
February 20, 2026
0

The Executive Chairman of Lagelu Local Government, Hon. Mudashiru Kamorudeen, has warmly invited residents of Lagelu, members of the Peoples...

Oyo Agency for Youth Celebrates SSG, Prof. Musibau Babatunde, on Birthday

Oyo Agency for Youth Celebrates SSG, Prof. Musibau Babatunde, on Birthday

by Peter Olajide
February 19, 2026
0

  Hon. Adebowale Adebayo Falana, the Chairman of the Oyo State Agency for Youth Development has extended warm felicitations to...

Next Post
Sango Market Inferno: Gov. Makinde’s Deputy Chief Of Staff, Oyekunle (DON), Visits Scene, Donates N250,000 To Affected Victims

Sango Market Inferno: Gov. Makinde’s Deputy Chief Of Staff, Oyekunle (DON), Visits Scene, Donates N250,000 To Affected Victims

Recommended

Kunle Rasheed’s Revisionist Agenda: Distorting History and Undermining Fuji Legacy – Fountain Busari Babatunde Basit

Kunle Rasheed’s Revisionist Agenda: Distorting History and Undermining Fuji Legacy – Fountain Busari Babatunde Basit

November 22, 2024
Yuletide: Hon. Olusola Adeleke Spreads Joy to 1000 Children at Christmas Funfair in Ibarapa Central

Yuletide: Hon. Olusola Adeleke Spreads Joy to 1000 Children at Christmas Funfair in Ibarapa Central

December 20, 2024

Popular Story

  • Breaking: Ibadan North Rep Member, Akinremi Dies

    Breaking: Ibadan North Rep Member, Akinremi Dies

    1086 shares
    Share 434 Tweet 272
  • Oyo Ad-hoc Staff Appeal to Governor Makinde

    969 shares
    Share 388 Tweet 242
  • Jubilation As Makinde Pays December Salaries Early

    892 shares
    Share 357 Tweet 223
  • Breaking: Ex Oyo Lawmaker, Hon Babatunde Eesuola is dead.

    882 shares
    Share 353 Tweet 221
  • Breaking : Two Years After Becoming Olubadan, Oba Balogun Joins Ancestors At 82

    869 shares
    Share 348 Tweet 217

Stay up-to-date with the latest happenings in Oyo State! From breaking news to in-depth updates on local events, our blog covers it all. Visit us regularly to stay informed about everything that matters in your community

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Naija24hrs - Website Designed by Samtech Media (+2348103682435)

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Fanfare
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel and Tourism
  • Editorial
  • Crime and Security
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Sports

© 2024 Naija24hrs - Website Designed by Samtech Media (+2348103682435)

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?